GLBT Student Support Services

Greetings from IU

IU Resources

Indiana University Bloomington offers a variety of support and academic services that may be of special interest to gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer and transgender individuals and allies. Student organizations and community groups also provide numerous support, social, and educational opportunities.


Indiana University prohibits discrimination and harassment based on arbitrary considerations of such characteristics as age, color, disability, ethnicity, sex, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.

 Name Change at IU

There are two name fields on my IU record.  Can I change them myself?
Yes, and no.  There are usually two name data fields, a Primary and a Preferred.  The Primary name data field is your legal name (generally the name on your Social Security Administration number card).  This data field can only be changed by a legal action. The Preferred name data field is changeable through request at Student Central on Union or through the Self Service function of OneStart.  You may make any reasonable name change but online changes are monitored for appropriateness. However, in certain cases, such as students with differently gendered Preferred and Primary names, to reduce the chance of confusion and possible embarrassment, we suggest you legally change your name and officially update your IU academic record.

Must I choose male or female as my gender designation?
YES. Federal reporting requirements only provide for male or female.  Unknown is not an acceptable choice and you will be asked to make a decision.  Discussions have begun at the federal, state (Indiana) and university wide level to recognize and add a transgender designation.  This is a lengthy process; you are not likely to see it as an option during your IU career.

Identity Change at IU

I need to make identity changes and I am also an employee of IU
There are two types of employees; both need to provide documentation and complete the form: If you are an academic appointee (non-tenure track appointment, including Graduate or Teaching Assistant) of the university you need to speak with Faculty Records in Bryan Hall Room 111.  The main office telephone number is (812) 855-2809. If you are a full or part time (including work study) hourly or salaried employee of IU University Human Resources (UHRS) needs notification.  UHRS is in Poplars E165 and their telephone number is 855-2172.

From Student Central–IU Bloomington: Proving a Change in Name, Date of Birth, or Gender
Generally your state of legal residence has authority regarding your status.  There are remedies for amending your name and or gender available through medical procedure documentation and court decisions.  To avoid frustration you should seek changes at your state level first. If your current legal name is different from the name on your birth certificate or lawful status document, you must show legal proof of the name change (showing a link to all name changes).  Indiana University accepts the same documentation as required by the state.  It is to your benefit to have the state required documentation, and your Indiana license updated, prior to changing your Indiana University academic record.  Student Central will make copies of your documentation.

Acceptable documents supporting a change include:
• Marriage license.
• Divorce decree.
• Court order approving a change of legal name or date of birth.
• Amended birth certificate showing a change of gender.
• Physician’s signed and dated statement that “(your name) successfully underwent all treatment necessary to permanently change (your name)’s gender from (previous gender) to (new gender).”

Submitting Acceptable Documents:
Generally Indiana University will only accept original documents or certified copies from the issuing agency. IU may refuse any document that appears fraudulent, unreliable, altered, or expired. All documents must be in English or be presented with a verifiably accurate English translation. Your legal name and date of birth on documents presented to IU must match Social Security Administration records.  IU prefers to make their documentation copies from your legal and physician provided original documents.   As a courtesy, they will make our copies from your documentation copies if obtaining original documentation will cause you to incur a fee.

Where do I submit my documentation?
The Indiana University Student Central is located at 408 N Union St, Bloomington, IN , across the parking lot from Eigenmann Hall.   The office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday.


Block IU Logo Contact Us
Copyright © The Trustees of Indiana University | Copyright Complaints