LEAD IU is a comprehensive leadership development program that provides participants with a unique opportunity to chart a path to leadership via an assortment of curricular and co-curricular offerings. LEAD IU is designed to augment the leadership experiences of all IU students, whether they are engaged in leadership or participation in student organizations, community agencies, academic clubs, faith-based groups, political activism, or any multitude of other activities, The program developed as a tool to more effectively promote leadership development programs by offering a starting point for students to begin to chart their path to leadership through the development of skills, the acquisition of knowledge, the development of relationships, and the awareness of available opportunities.
LEAD IU programs are designed and offered with a specific “brand” of leadership in mind:
- Leadership is the discovery and respect for the self and others. The program’s goal is for students to think critically and apply personal knowledge through ethical leadership and to serve with integrity through active and responsible engagement.
College out-of-class experiences have been shown to greatly enhance student learning. Research carried out by George Kuh, IU Chancellor’s Professor Emeritus and Former Director of the National Survey of Student Engagement, shows that out-of-class activities and experiences lead students to increasing cognitive complexity (critical thinking, intellectual flexibility, reflective judgment); knowledge acquisition and application; humanitarianism (interest in the welfare of others); interpersonal and intrapersonal competence (self-confidence, identity, ability to relate to others); and practical competence (decision making, vocational preparation). In addition, out-of-class experiences have been linked to higher levels of persistence and graduation for involved students.
There are three LEAD IU programs:
- IGNITE (students with little leadership experience or those just considering or beginning their involvement on campus)
- Student Leader Program (students who are currently involved in organizations or activities)
- Advanced Leader Program (students who have leadership roles in organizations or activities)
LEAD IU offices are located in Student Life and Learning, Room 371 of the Indiana Memorial Union.
For questions about LEAD IU programs:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 812-855-4311